PAMI Pac Flt NASNI

PhillipHartPAMI Pac
Boot

PAMI Pac Flt NASNI

Postby PhillipHartPAMI Pac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I reported in to PAMI Pac in the fall of 1962. What a happy family of Seaman, MA's, and PN's. Oh yes, and a couple of O-types. Flickenger? Who could forget? Because of my high GCT I worked in the tape room as a seaman. After acing A school on location, I stayed in tape room as an operator. Since I was the biggest E5 and unmarried, I was master at arms for a while. I also had the cherished Rohr Corp 3rd shift job. Remember Stefano, the Italian New York PN? He never pulled that wake-up call foolishness after I blasted him in the solar plexus after shaking me in my bunk.

I remember Tex from Waco, Lou Blood from Montana, Paunch from Florida, Gomer (Jim Grantham) from Georgia, (I stopped one day in Tyty, Georgia. There were several Bobos in the phone book. I didn't spend time looking for Fifi Bobo, like in Gomer's stories.) One day I called James Langmo (there are only two in Michigan) He answered! Of course Ken Engel, my friend from Illinois. He is still in San Francisco, if he survived.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed being one of the "Pussies of the Fleet", although I wouldn't do it again. I got two ship-over talks. One from the Navy and one from Rohr.

Something nobody ever knew. During that little stint when I was master-at-arms, I was taken off the duty roster. My Rohr job was never hindered by pesky duty days. When Stefano was checking me out in August of '66, he asked which duty section I was in. I answered "none". He said he should make me stand watch on my last day in the service. I smiled and walked away.

PhillipHartPAMI Pac
Boot

Re: PAMI Pac Flt NASNI

Postby PhillipHartPAMI Pac » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

"Paunch from Florida" is almost right. His name was Pooch Fain from Florida. I also remember Goldburg. He walked to the credit union every payday to deposit $5 into his account. How much is that guy worth today?

Return to “Shore Duty”