MAs on AKSs

Billie C.

MAs on AKSs

Postby Billie C. » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:23 pm

Any of you older/Senior MA/DPs out there who served on any of the AKSs? (Altair,Antares,Castor & Pollux?? I was first introduced to PCAM equipment on the Altair, I was a SK2, and Tom Noonan,MA2, Ray Clowry,MA1 and Scott Richardson,MA2, were in the MA shop. I took a interest in the 402, etc. This tweaked my interest in the MA rating and all those guys helped me. Anyway after trans to NAS Oceana,Va, where Dick Labarge,MA3 and MA1 Tomas ran the U1004 shop I was able to futher my knowledge in the MA Rating. In 65 as a SK1, I trans to NSD GTMO, and again I was involved in the conversion of StK Control to a U1004 with Bill Schutt MA/DP2, Dick Labarge again, MACS/DPCS Killilay, MACS/Bill Watts + others. With their help I managed to convert to MA1/DP1 in 67. I look forward to hearing other experiences RE AKSs, Regards, Billie C. Cabbage,DPCS,USN,Ret 56-76.

DPCSDan
Site Admin

Postby DPCSDan » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Billie,
I was in Gitmo in 1965-66, as an RD3 on "the hill". Do you remember all those large crabs running around the island at night? When I was on 3rd shift it was really an odd feeling to see hundreds of them in the headlights as we drove to the radar tracking station on the hill.
-dan

duddits
Seaman

USS ANTARES AKS33

Postby duddits » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:48 am

I served aboard Antares AKS33 from January 62 till March 64 after completing CE training in Endicott. I transfered out to PAMILANTFLT while we were in midst of recovering from a disastarous fire at sea. Fire fighting flooded #2 hold and EAM room. Spent time at NS Depot at night hand feeding punched cards one at a time through reproducers. Fire destroyed entire contents of #2 hold.

Antares was my first true sea duty. Quite an experience with runs to Scotland and an extended Med cruise due to Cuban thing holding Altair past our relief date.
Douglas Grace
VP-57 AO3 55-57
NAS MIRAMAR MA3 (first MA) 57-60
PAMI 13ND MA2 60-61
CE SCHOOL 61-62
USS ANTARES AKS33 MA1 62-64
PAMILANTFLT 64-65
USS INTREPID CVS11 65-66
(+40 more years IT civilian life)

Return to “AKSs”