Duty On the Sammie "G"

Wiley
Seaman

Duty On the Sammie "G"

Postby Wiley » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:03 pm

Can't believe this ship is with Davy Jones Locker! I went aboard in 1970 and she was practically a new ship then. I was a Subic (Shore Duty) and arranged a swap with another 3rd class on the Gompers and a way I went back to SD. Only spent another year and was to Naval Station Annapolis. You guys had DP1 Singer as an instructor - small world - he and I were instructors there at the same time - then DP1 Dean Wiley.
Dean Wiley
DPCS Retired - April 1990
Civil Service to Present

mattc10041
Seaman

Sammy G

Postby mattc10041 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:42 pm

I was stationed on the Gompers from 77 to 80 but not as a DP at that time, took Dp A school in 80 then off to CPW-11 and several other commands Matthew C Murle
matthew c murle

cwatkins
Boot

Re: Duty On the Sammie "G"

Postby cwatkins » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Fellow Sammie "G" shipmates.
I was on the commissioning crew for AD-37 from Jan. 1967 and was transferred off in Nov. 1968. I got the priviledge to design the original computer room setup after it was determined that the original design would not work. I was the Division First Class priviliged to have a great crew including shipmate Walt Beesley. I got to make the shake down cruise to West Pac where I made DPC in April 1968. Those familiar with the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong, that is where I was initiated as a CPO. A pretty interesting event if I must say so myself.
Yes, it is hard to believe that the Great AD-37 USS Samuel Gompers is now a fish santuary in the Atlantic Ocean.

Chuck Watkins DPCS USN Retired 1959-1979

WaltBeesley
Seaman

Postby WaltBeesley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Since we were plank owners I thought we were supposed to get a plank of her deck when she was sunk!
I had an interesting career in the Navy as a Data Processor. I served at Glynco, on the Samuel Gompers, NAVSERVPAC, NSD Guam, DP School, USS Blue Ridge, and DCA in the Pentagon.

NavyR1ch
Boot

Postby NavyR1ch » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 am

Dean,
I (Rich Smedberg) was the 3rd class you swapped with. After Subic eliminated the military shift I was transferred to PAMICONUS in MD. if you/Walt read this you can contact me on FB or richsmedberg@outlook.com
PS, I recently was contacted by Steve Cohen!

Return to “Tenders”